Tuesday 27 February 2018

Library Professional Groups (Thing 21)

What professional groups are out there...




I decided to do exercise 2.

2a. Subscribe to a social media account of a professional body of your choice.  I chose 3 as follows: 

Library Association of Ireland FACEBOOK & TWITTER

CILIP FACEBOOK & TWITTER

  
2b. Did you learn anything new about that organisation after joining?  Was it useful?

LAI – I assumed because I have no library qualifications I would not be able to join the LAI. Delighted to find I can join and will do so shortly. Looking forward to attending some of the events and meeting other library staff.

CILIP – I’ve seen “CILIP” but didn’t even know what the acronym meant.  Woowoo. It means Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals. I know nothing about them but hope to learn more in the next few weeks.

ALA – American Library Association - I’ve already done a lot of research on their website so know a lot about them. Obviously the situations in US, UK & Ireland are hugely different due to the massive funding cuts they have both been experiencing in comparison to Ireland but it’s important to know what’s happening around the World. To quote Jim Rettig (ALA past president)

“What happens to one type of library effects us all. Library communities around the country need to become a unified voice, ready to advocate for all libraries”.

The ALA have a huge amount of fantastic information and reports about providing services and resources to the LBGT library patron.

2c. Reach out to that organisation on social media.

I sent a tweet and posted the following message on each Facebook page & to each Twitter of the three organisations listed as follows:;


“Hi, just saying hello from Wexford in Ireland. I’m a Library Assistant and currently studying a self-directed online course about online tools in particular social media tools and learn about what's current in the ever changing web 2.0 sphere. #Rudai23 #WRSLAI”

I am awaiting responses.

Regards

John The Captain Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swimming in the Dark by Tomasz Jedrowski (book review)

A fantastic debut novel with beautiful intimite writing that will completely envelop you ... source Tomasz Jedrowski takes an inte...